Whoever you are, particularly if you sometimes find yourself lonely in the world, if you are a person of color, part of the LGBTQ community, if you wonder if you are too different, too difficult orjust too much…You are welcome here. Here are some of the reasons folks find their way into my office:
- Low Self-Esteem / Self Hatred
- Feeling lost and / or stuck
- Sorrow or fear about Climate Change / Degradation of the natural world
I create a safe space for us with empathy for the challenges you face and respect for the path you have already walked. I approach our work together with a compassionate heart and a wise mind, combining 20 years of work and study as well as my own experience of the journey towards wholeness. Along with my professional training (see below), this also includes the arenas of personal growth, spiritual discipline, earth based healing methods, and natural history. While the journey that we take together will be unique to your needs, my hope is that your experience will be three-fold:
- The quieting of thoughts, having found peace through new intellectual understanding and the employment of mindfulness techniques.
- A heart put at ease through the process of contacting emotions in the body and giving them the attention they need to finish releasing.
- A sense of wholeness, vitality and clarity through the gentle integration of all parts of the self (even the ones that seem unacceptable).
Ecotherapy (90 minute and daylong sessions in the wild spaces of Sonoma County) includes the added dimensions of:
- Deeper understanding of personal cycles by experiencing their correlation with seasonal ones.
- An increased sense of belonging through connection with the natural world and all its inhabitants.
- A decrease of anxiety, depression and fear through greater intimacy with your internal sources of support, as well as the resources available through a reciprocal relationship with nature.
- Rejuvenated inspiration for giving back…to loved ones, your community and the environment.
When not in session I enjoy motherhood, studying herbalism, and hanging out with our flock of 8 chickens.
I received an M.A. in Integral Counseling Psychology from The California Institute of Integral Studies in 2008. After my initial training in Gestalt therapy at the Church Street Counseling Center, I interned with Holos Institute, and am now part of the Holos Institute Ecopsychology Certificate Program. I currently see clients in my private practice in Sebastopol, CA. Prior to graduate school I worked extensively for 10 years with children (infant – 18yrs) as a teacher in theater arts (including drama therapy) and environmental education.
Learn more about Mary at http://marygood.squarespace.com/